Plantains are now a household favorite snack thanks to my recent experimentation with baking them. They require few ingredients and are simple to prepare, and kids like them.
How to cook plantains in an air fryer? You can start the air fryer at 380°F. Cook plantains for 10 to 12 minutes, turning them over halfway through.
What Are Plantains?
From the same family as bananas, plantains are starchy fruits. Although they are more like a vegetable – less sweet, more starchier and typically eaten cooked. They are widely used in food from the Caribbean, Latin America, and Africa.
Unripe green plantains have white flesh. These are frequently used in place of rice or potatoes because they resemble a starchy vegetables.
The color of ripe plantains changes from green to yellow to black. As they ripen, they also become sweeter. Plantains of the yellow color are firm and just beginning to become sweet.
Plantains can be steamed, boiled, grilled, fried, or baked. Unlike bananas, they hold up well during the cooking process. Fry them is the conventional method.
I seek out plantains that are yellow but are fading to black to bake or air fry. The sweetest fried plantains can be made using black peel plantains.
How to Air Fry Maduros
It’s so simple to air fry sweet plantains. Plantains are the only ingredient in this recipe, so there is very little preparation required.
- Cut the plantain in half lengthwise. Next, make a slit along the length of the peel using a paring knife.
- Toss them in the air fryer after carefully removing the skin.
- Plantain tops should be sprayed with oil before being air-fried for eight minutes on each side at 370°F.
What Color Are Plantains When Ripe?
Similar to how bananas change as they ripen, plantains also go from green to yellow to black. Ripe plantains are typically difficult to locate at the grocery store. In order to hasten the process, you usually have to buy unripe green plantains and leave them to ripen on the counter or somewhere warm. They can take anywhere from a few days to a week to ripen.
What is the Difference Between Tostones and Maduros?
Green plantains are fried until they are crispy and are then served as chips with salsa or guacamole as dips. I can prepare them in three different ways: twice baked, air fried, and microwaved and baked. Plantain-based maduros, which are typically served as a side dish, are soft and sweet.
Pro-tips for Perfect Plantains
- Let the plantains ripen before air frying or baking them. Naturally sweet fruit is ripe. However, they can also be messier and stickier while still being significantly more delicious. Allow them to remain on the counter and be patient.
- Slice the plantains in roughly the same thickness, so they cook evenly. The length of time it takes to cook depends on how thick the slices are.
- Spread the plantains in a single layer, so they cook uniformly. You might need to cook them in several batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Air fryer plantains taste best when served hot. Serve with a dip or eat plain.
- You can also make them sweeter to serve with dessert by sprinkling cinnamon and sugar on the top.
How Long Do They Keep?
Since they are soft in the middle and have crispy outsides, it is best to eat these air fryer plantains as soon as they are ready. If you do have leftovers, they will keep well in the fridge for a few days and are simple to reheat. To reheat them and restore their crispness, heat the air fryer basket at 380F for 2 to 3 minutes.
What Plantains Are Best to Use?
Plantains that are ripe and mostly black with just a hint of yellow on the skins are ideal for this recipe. Plantains that are ripe taste sweeter. Overripe fruits are all black, and while they will still be edible, they will be extremely soft and more difficult to cut nicely. Plantains that are green or mostly yellow will be firmer in texture and more difficult to peel. They will also be less sweet.
Are Plantains Healthy?
They do contain a lot of fiber, as well as vitamins A, C, and B-6, magnesium, and potassium. They are beneficial for gut and heart health and contain antioxidants as well. Nevertheless, they contain a lot of carbohydrates. Additionally, plantains that have been deep-fried can contain a significant amount of additional fat. Plantains are therefore a healthier option when baked, grilled, or air fried.
Can You Eat Raw Plantain?
Cooked plantains are preferred. There are many ways to prepare plantains, including steaming, boiling, grilling, frying, or baking.
How Many Calories Are in a Plantain?
218 calories are in a medium plantain. Given that one teaspoon of oil was used to fry a medium plantain, a fried plantain has about 258 calories.
Can I Store Fried Plantains?
When cooked, these are best enjoyed uncooked. but if you have leftovers, place cooled plantains in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They could last for four days. Air fry them for one minute at 380°F to reheat.