Dicamba and Mecropop, two post-emergent herbicides that attack weeds in your lawn that have already germinated without harming the grass, are the main ingredients in Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed.
Since Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed requires 48 hours to take effect, you must wait 48 hours before watering. Some lawn foods work best when watered in immediately after application.
How to Apply Scotts Weed and Feed for Best Results
Applying weed and feed to your lawn at the proper time and under the proper circumstances is crucial for getting the most benefit out of the product. Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed performs best when applied according to these guidelines:
- There are 60° to 90°F temperatures.
- The grass is not wet, just damp from dew or a light sprinkle.
- To disperse the product uniformly, a lawn spreader is employed.
- After applying, wait 24 hours before watering the lawn.
- 48 hours after application, avoid cutting the lawn.
The best surface for the herbicide to stick to weed leaves is a damp lawn, which aids the weed control product’s penetration of the plants and starts the killing process. This significantly increases its efficiency. Just be careful that the product doesn’t wash off your lawn because it is too wet.
Read More: How Often Should You Apply Sulfur to Lawn
Signs Scotts Weed and Feed is Working
How will you be able to tell whether your lawn care mission was successful? In order to determine if your Scotts Turf Builder application is delivering results, look for these signs:
- 1–5 Days: The grass is greener and seems to be thickening and growing more quickly.
- 7 Days: Initially, the grass’s weeds will yellow and wilt.
- 14 Days: In the lawn, the majority of weeds are dead, brown, and simple to remove by hand.
- 30 Days: In the lawn, most broadleaf weeds have died. More lush and green grass is present than before.
You will initially notice that your grass is growing more quickly after applying Scotts Weed and Feed as the broadleaf weeds start to wilt. The weeds will eventually die as the grass fills in the gaps left by the weeds and thickens over time.
How Long Does Scotts Turf Builder Take to Absorb
For Scotts Weed and Feed to fully penetrate weed systems, it may take up to 24 hours. This is why it’s critical to delay watering, mowing, and/or other agricultural activities after applying weed and feed.
The majority of the herbicides in Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed are absorbed within 24 hours, but it takes time for the chemicals to penetrate the plant and kill it. Herbicides don’t stop working just because they have been absorbed. Wait patiently while the product eliminates weeds.
Can You Water After Spreading Weed and Feed?
After applying Scotts Turf Builder, wait 24 to 48 hours before watering your lawn. The herbicide may be washed off plant leaves if you water too soon after application. Too soon after application, watering can significantly reduce the product’s efficacy.
- After applying weed and feed, wait 24 hours before watering again.
- In the event that rain is expected within the next 24 hours, avoid spreading weed and feed.
- Water the lawn to a damp but not soggy condition the day before applying weed and feed.
Like a lawn sprinkler, rain can wash away your weed-control product. Wait a day before applying weed and feed to your lawn if rain is anticipated within 24 hours. Water the day before applying weed and feed if you are concerned that your lawn will dry out. This will keep the grass healthy by causing the weeds and fertilizer to adhere to plant leaves and keep the lawn moist.
How Soon Can You Mow After Spreading Weed and Feed?
Before mowing a lawn, wait 48 hours after applying weed and feed. In addition to unevenly dispersing fertilizer and herbicide, mowing can also scatter weeds and feed into garden areas, endangering vegetables and flowering plants due to the herbicide’s ingredients.
- Do not mow for 48 hours.
- The plants in your garden could die if you mow too soon because it spreads weeds and feeds on them.
- Mowing can cause the fertilizer to be applied unevenly.
A full 48 hours are needed for the fertilizer in Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed to break down and enter the soil, which is when it performs at its best. Wait a few days before mowing your lawn after application for the best weed control and healthiest lawn possible.
How Soon Will Scotts Weed and Feed Show Results?
The dual action of feeding your lawn and eliminating weeds is accomplished by Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed. In 1–5 days, you’ll start to notice greener, healthier grass; full results take 4–6 weeks to appear. In terms of weed control, Scotts will start to kill weeds in 7 days, but full results won’t be visible for another 14 days.
When used properly, Scotts Turf Builder will have a significant impact on your lawn’s health and weed growth. To get the most out of the product, all that is necessary is patience and proper application.
Tips for Using Scotts Turf Builder
- Find out what kind of grass grows in your yard. Cool-season grasses remain green all year while warm-season grasses lay dormant and turn brown in the winter.
- While cool-season grasses should be fertilized in the fall, warm-season grasses should be fertilized in the late spring or early summer.
- Choose a granular fertilizer and weed killer that effectively eliminates broadleaf weeds during that fertilizing period.
- Early in the morning, when the lawn is still wet, spread the lawn care granular fertilizer; alternatively, water the lawn first.
- More effectively than dry blades, the granules adhere to wet grass blades and release the herbicide.
- Apply the recommended amount at the recommended time of year, or, in the case of weeds, at the stage of development, as directed by the lawn care product’s instructions.
- Applying too much weed and feed or doing so at the wrong time of the year is a waste of time and money.
- Keep the product away from landscaping’s other plants.
- Keep your children and pets off your treated lawn for a few days afterward. Studies show that pesticides used on lawns linger in the grass for at least 48 hours.
Alternatives to Weed and Feed
The most straightforward alternative to administering weed and feed is to treat feeding and weed control as two separate operations.
Depending on the kind of grass in your lawn, you should fertilize in the fall for cool-season grasses and in late spring or early summer for warm-season grasses.
The right time should be chosen to treat weeds. If you think your yard has weed seeds scattered throughout it, for instance, use a pre-emergent in the late winter to prevent the seeds from sprouting.
Read More: How to Overseed or Reseed Your Lawn
If you have previously used pre-emergent granular fertilizer and your weeds are under control, applying it to the entire yard may be overkill.
In that case, it is preferable to wait to see if any weeds appear before spot-treating them with an herbicide suitable for your lawn care regimen for what is currently flourishing in your yard.
Since a researcher at Lowa State University discovered it slows seed germination, it has been patented for use as a natural pre-emergent agent. Due to its 10% nitrogen content, which is a crucial component in most fertilizers to maintain a lush lawn, CGM is a natural fertilizer.
For best lawn care, fertilize four times a year, in the early spring, late spring, summer, and fall. This will prevent weeds from growing on your lawn.
Is It Better to Fertilize Before Or After Rain?
don’t recommend fertilizing before or after a heavy rain because the fertilizer can be leached out of the soil or washed away before it can be consumed by the root zone.
Is Scotts Weed and Feed Safe?
When used as directed on the product label, Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed 3 is safe for animals. During the application of the product, you should make sure that no pets are nearby.
Is Scotts Weed and Feed Pre Or Post Emergent?
Post emergent Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed 3 contains fertilizers. As you should wait at least 3 weeks after applying a post emergent to seed, it may have had an impact on the growth of the grass seed.