Yeti cups are excellent at keeping beverages hot, but occasionally you might leave your drink out too long and it needs to warm up a bit.
Can you put a Yeti in the microwave to rewarm it if your drink has cooled in the tumbler cup? Or will it explode or fail to function?
Can a Yeti be microwaved? No, microwave-ing a Yeti is not safe. That is the quick response. There’s a chance that it will catch fire or do serious damage.
Just be careful to watch your Yeti in case you do see a spark and check the metal isn’t too hot to touch before getting it out of the microwave.
Here are some details about heating your Yeti cup in the microwave.
Can You Microwave a Yeti?
A Yeti cannot be microwaved, to get right to the point.
On Yeti’s Rambler FAQ page, the warning label that is on Yeti cups is shown and it clearly states:
“Metal and microwaves don’t get along. Do not microwave any Ramblers; doing so could result in fire or other harm.”
Yes, you cannot microwave a Yeti cup, that is the unequivocal response from Yeti.
What Happens When You Put a Yeti Cup in the Microwave?
Because stainless steel is a conductor of electricity when exposed to microwaves, Yeti tumbler cups are made of this material.
According to SciShow, the Yeti tumbler cup’s thick, flat metal construction causes the electrons to simply vibrate back and forth while the microwaves bounce off.
If you leave the metal in there long enough, it will start to heat up and eventually get very hot.
A fire can start because metal heats up more quickly when it is thinner, like tin foil. Microwaves can be destroyed by electrical discharge from tin foil and forks with points and edges.
Yeti cups don’t have the same concentrated points as forks do, so the possibility of electric sparks is significantly reduced.
Although a Yeti cup slowly heats up in the microwave, the metal also reflects the majority of microwaves, making it challenging to warm the contents inside.
However, the microwaves can still get in through the top of the cup to warm up your drink and I think this is why in my experiment the water did warm up a little bit within that minute.
I’m sure the beverage would warm up a little bit even if the lid were left on, but I assume taking the lid off your Yeti cup before putting it in the microwave will yield the best results.
Will a Yeti Catch on Fire in Your Microwave?
In the microwave, it’s unlikely that your Yeti cup will catch fire. If you leave it in there unattended for a very long time, it might start to burn.
I personally put my Yeti cup in the microwave for 1 minute and the cup warmed up a bit but was still very safe to touch and there were absolutely NO sparks or explosions.
The cup warmed up but not so significantly that it was even close to being too hot to touch.
Why You Can’t Microwave a Yeti Cup
The stainless steel that makes up a Yeti cup. Since stainless steel conducts electricity like all metals, microwaves shouldn’t be used on it.
Without getting too technical, microwaves essentially work by sending jolts of energy through an object, which accelerates the vibration of the molecules inside.
The molecules’ continued acceleration of their vibrational rates causes friction, which produces heat, which raises the temperature of the contents inside.
The Yeti Rambler’s stainless steel construction prevents the energy bolts from passing through it, which is a problem when you microwave them. As a substitute, the energy is instead absorbed by the metal until the molecular structure is unable to hold the extra energy and it is released as sparks, heat, and sound.
Fires, burns, and numerous other gruesome injuries can result from these sparks and heat.
This is a general effect of putting anything metal in a microwave; Yeti cups are not an exception to the rule; it has long been known that metal cannot be safely placed in a microwave.
Can You Put a Yeti in the Oven?
Keep in mind that Yeti cups do a great job on their own of keeping your cold drinks ice cold and your hot drinks extremely hot.
It is ineffective to attempt to heat any liquid in your Yeti Rambler because your Yeti cup can keep the liquid warm without the aid of a microwave or oven.
Another thing to think about is that the maximum temperature most Yeti cups can withstand is 185F (85C). Of course, an oven can get quite a bit hotter than this, so putting your Yeti drinkware in the oven could cause warping or melting.
What to Do Instead of Microwaving a Yeti
Your beverages will stay hot on their own with Yeti mugs. If you prepare a cup of coffee and pour it immediately into your Yeti cup before covering it with the lid. Without taking any additional steps, your coffee can stay hot for several hours.
Coffee can be easily removed from the Yeti and placed in a microwave-safe container if it has been left inside all day and has lost some of its heat. Microwave it in this before pouring it back in your Yeti mug to keep hot for several more hours.
It really is that easy; just pour your hot beverage directly into your Yeti mug and you won’t have to worry about it getting cold for the majority of the day.
Mugs and Tumblers That Are Microwave-Safe
If you are keen to regularly microwave your drinks then Yeti mugs might not be the best choice for you.
Better options might be a standard ceramic mug or maybe even a BPA-free plastic mug.
Due to the fact that both of these options are microwave-safe, you can consume your hot beverages right away without running any risk of injury from using stainless steel in the appliance.
The purpose of Yeti cups is to keep things warm, not to reheat food. If the initial temperature of the liquid is what you want, then you should not be concerned about reheating it.
Furthermore, putting the Yeti cups in the microwave for an extended period of time just to heat the liquid inside endangers the microwave. Make sure the liquid is the ideal temperature when using these cups, and you should be good to go for several hours.
Check the following guides to learn what kind of materials can be put in the microwave!